Sporting Events and Activities
Montréal is a city of sports. We are a favourite host city for a wide variety of events, from elite international competitions to leisurely regional tournaments, and everything in between.
Until further notice, sports events are on a “time out.” But when it’s time to compete again, here are some of the safety measures in place.
- Authorized events—whether indoors or outdoors—are limited to a maximum of 250 people.
- Access to lockers and changing rooms is limited to ensure physical distancing
- Access to showers is permitted if physical distancing can be respected and if cleaning is performed regularly throughout the day.
- Access to non-essential common areas that promote gathering is limited, and loitering is not permitted from entry to exit points.
- The number of participants, coaches, and staff present must be limited to allow physical distancing at all times during the activity, both indoors and outdoors.
- For combat sports, sparring is permitted as long as the rules of public health authorities are respected. Competitions remain prohibited.
- All participants must use their own equipment whenever possible. Shared equipment—such as a soccer ball—must be washed with hot water and soap or an effective disinfectant between activities.
- If participants bring their own equipment—such as a basketball—a designated person must disinfect it before entering the playing field or court.
- Group activities and sports may need to take place alternately to limit the number of participants in the same space. The number of participants per group must allow for physical distancing. These groups should be made up of the same participants as much as possible. (For example, no switching teams.)
- For purposes of contact tracing, a detailed register must be logged that includes: the name of the participants, their telephone numbers, and the date of participation.
- Adaptations specific to certain physical or sporting activities may be required to limit the presence of prolonged contact between participants. Physical or sporting activities requiring numerous and prolonged contacts are not authorized at the moment.